Cracked glass fixed!

In a previous post I showed the crack in the glass that had appeared spontaneously. In time the crack has extended fully upward to the top of the glass separator. Today I decided it was time to fix the issue!



Why the glass cracked

As the glass cracked through fully to the top of the separator, it became clear to me what was the problem: Both sides of the crack are no longer exactly aligned, but they are misaligned by around 0,5mm! This makes me think the separator was under tension when the paludarium was first assembled. Now the crack is from top to bottom, the tension is relieved and it is time to fix the issue.


Applying the fix

First, I cut a piece of 3mm glass to size. Then I prepared the paludarium itself. After degreasing the glass pieces I took some styrofoam to put behind the glass:

The cracked separator backed with styrofoam so I can apply pressure to the front when glueing on a new piece of glass

The cracked separator backed with styrofoam so I can apply pressure to the front when glueing on a new piece of glass

With this, I was ready to glue on the glass strip that will support the separator:

Glass glued onto the cracked glass separator

Glass glued onto the cracked glass separator

Now all that remains is waiting for the silicon glue to set. Then I need to mount some feed-throughs to get the paludarium waterproof… And then test!

2 Responses to Cracked glass fixed!

  1. Pingback: Paludarium Feed-throughs mounted | P A L U W E B . N L

  2. Pingback: Some major surgery – Crack glass, the sequel… (part 1/2) | P A L U W E B . N L

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*