One of the sensors that can be read by the Neptune module is the Sensirion SHT-11 I have had laying about for years.
Now finally it is ready for use! The sensor sits on the end of a 2,5 meter cable which is soldered on directly. A small capacitor is glued on as well to cope with the excessive cable length. The sensor in its entirety is covered in a drop of silicon glue to keep the moisture out of the electronic contacts. This sensor will be measuring over 98% relative humidity at times!
The Sensirion SHT-11 sensor glued into a drop of silicone. This digital sensor measures air temperature and relative humidity in the Paludarium.
So far the results are looking good. This is the sensor still hanging in the living room:
22.24 degrees centigrade and 65.94% relative humidity. Sounds realistic as it’s a very moist day.
When the silicone had dried, I put the sensor inside the paludarium. After settling it showed measurements like these:
Measured values when the Sensirion sensor is inside the Paludarium.
Great! Tempereature at 23.16 degrees, relative humidity at 87,61%. Very Jungley 🙂
What I did find out, is that the location of the sensor heavily influences the measurements. Especially the humidity is VERY dependent on where you measure.
Posted in Automation, Paludarium
Tagged air temperature, humidity, humidity sensor, measure air temperature, measure humidity, relative humidity, sensirion, Sensirion SHT-11, sensor, SHT-11
Finally. After a long time building the hardware and the software, the Neptune module is the final module to be added to the Paludarium.
This module is a more complex version of the Apollo units that live inside the Canopy that control lighting and fans. The Neptune module has some control for lighting (namely the underwater lights), but its main purpose is controlling pumps and valves, and measuring back sensors in the paludarium.
For now the Neptune module is setup in the cabinet under the Paludarium:
The Neptune module sitting in the cabinet under the Paludarium with some sensors already connected. What a mess of wires and hoses!
The unit has been running for over two weeks now without a single flaw… I must be doing something right 😉